Ok, so last week we looked at pros and cons of advanced drayage. Let’s do the same now with direct drayage.
On the good side – the pro side:
- You have more time to prepare the shipment which is very important for last minute updates to equipment or marketing messages.
- There is less handling of your shipment and therefore less opportunity for damage.
- You can schedule your freight to arrive during straight time hours at the show site.
- You can work with padded van firms and carriers that use tie downs and air ride equipment all the way to the show site.
- Large over the road trucking companies charge a flat fee so there is no waiting time charged when waiting in direct drayage lines.
- Shipments can be fully insured and the shipper has a vested interest to protect the shipment from your shipping location all the way to the show floor.
- You have the opportunity to get the best drayage rate since direct drayage is almost always the lowest drayage rate.
Now on the other side – the con side:
- You do not get your freight on the floor as early as advanced freight. So depending upon the show, this can be a big deterrent to shipping direct.
- Airfreight forwarders usually charge waiting time for sitting in direct drayage lines waiting to be unloaded. Carriers like FedEx and UPS require special attention since they will not wait and you are usually charged a special handling fee for using this type of carrier.
- You are not able to verify that your freight has arrived ahead of time except that you can talk to the carrier directly.
- You do not have much wiggle room if a shipment is delayed due to – as an example – bad weather.
So – Do you have it all figured out now? Bottom line – there are reasons for shipping advanced or direct but they vary from show to show. Understanding the show, the facility, the drayage company, waiting time, overtime, damage concerns, delicate equipment, and potential weather factors all should be part of the decision process. These are the thought processes that account managers at Exhibit Edge go through for each shipment.
As always, please respond with your questions or comments and let others know about EXHIBITOR LOUNGE.COM.
We will see you next week. Until then, I am your host Michael Gray telling you to RELAX in the Exhibitor Lounge.